The Red and Grey

Royal Night

Emily Austin, Sports Editor

From nearly the beginning of the year, students anticipated the arrival of Homecoming, a splendid event when alumni return to cheer on their alma mater and when a new group of royalty emerges.

On September 22, 2017, MCHS held a parade honoring all the nominees for Homecoming King, Queen, Prince, and Princess. The ladies, adorned in elegant gowns, prepared for a night filled with magic. The glamorous parade gave way to an exciting game, with the announcement of Queen and Princess taking place over the traditional halftime festivities. The crowd cheered as last year’s queen, Julia Hix, stepped on the field and crowned sophomore Haley Larkin as Princess and senior Madison Epps as the 2017-2018 Homecoming Queen.

Remembering the moment when Julia placed the crown on her head, Epps exclaimed,

“It was such an honor to be a part of Homecoming court and being voted for Homecoming Queen; it was such a big shock. In the moment, I was not expecting to hear my name to be called, and it brought tears to my eyes. I know I made my father and my family proud that night. Thank you to everyone that gave me this opportunity to have a great experience.”

Sharing her perspective of the evening, Larkin stated “ I was already excited about walking across that field with all my beautiful friends! Then when I heard my name, I was in complete shock, but I was so happy; it was a memory I will never forget!”

During the Homecoming dance, senior Cody Hawks received the Homecoming King crown, while junior Cory Yarbrough was crowned Prince.

Senior Cody Hawks remarked, “I just thank my class and the Madison County students for choosing me to represent this school as the Homecoming King. It was one of the greatest moments in my high school career when I heard my name called, and I have all the students to thank for letting me have that moment. It will be a moment I will never forget. ”  

Junior Cory Yarbrough expressed much gratitude when commenting on his new title, “I had no idea I would be chosen by my fellow classmates as Prince. It is an honor to represent the underclassmen, and I’m so thankful for the experience. ”

Homecoming proved a great success, filled with magic, dancing, music, laughter, and good times. Much of this success falls on the shoulders of those behind the scenes, including Mrs.Yarbrough  and Mrs. Dean, who worked endlessly to make Homecoming a night to “shine.”

• Royal Night

Editorials

FFA Week

• Editorials

Dr. Crouse Teacher of the Month

• Royal Night

Editorials

MCHS Food Drive

• Entertainmenrt

Student Prophecy

• Editorials

Student Wills

• Entertainmenrt

Snapchat for Dummies

• Editorials

MC Proud of our Silence

• Entertainmenrt

Loves’ Secrets

• Royal Night

Arts & Multimedia

Fortnite Fever

• Royal Night

Editorials

The Selection: Book Review

The Student News Site of Madison County
Royal Night