Cowboys and Angels

Emma Ollis

On November 1-3, 2018, the Madison County High School 4-H Equestrian Drill Team, Cowboys and Ifal Angels, competed at Unadilla, GA at SEMDTA National Open Competition. Winning this show holds one of the highest honors achieved by a drill team, and the Cowboys and Angels proudly return home as champions! Six of the eight riders on the team attend or recently graduated from Madison County High School, including Caroline Chapman, Giles Stratton, Delana Jachimski, Taylor Lester, Rhianna Adams, and Lindley Hawks.

A drill team consists of a group of horses and riders performing choreographed routines to music; these teams perform rodeos, fairs, and drill team competitions. Rhianna Adams, a member of Cowboys and Angels from Madison County, states, “My favorite thing about being on the team is probably to bond I have with my horse and my teammates.”

The Cowboys and Angels, a very tight knit group, not only compete together, but are a family. Team member and freshman, Linley Hawks, describes her teammates as her second family; she states, “This team has impacted my life so much; they helped me through thick and thin. We may not have gotten along at some points, but we all ended it with a hug. They are like a second family to me, and I don’t know what I would do without them.”

Congratulations to the Madison County High School 4-H Drill Team on their national win; MCHS takes pride in their accomplishments.