The Red and Grey

Black Friday

Emma Ollis

Over the 2018 Black Friday weekend, which really kicked off on Thanksgiving and concluded on Cyber Monday, Nov. 27, as many as 164 million Americans hit stores or shopped online, according to data from the National Retail Federation. Many of the students at Madison County  High School joined in this shopping tradition, hitting stores in the Athens and Commerce area.

Ella Czaplinski, a sophomore at MCHS, found the best deals at, “Dress Up, the Nike Outlet, and American Eagle.” Many of these deals included 40% off whole store, 50% of sweaters, and 20% off select style shoes. Another MCHS tenth grader, Audrie Sartain, enjoyed, Bath and Body Works, remarking, “They had a 3 for 3 deal, and I ended up getting a million candles.” Callie Ollis, class of 2019, and Harlee Yarbrough, class of 2021, went shopping at Tanger Outlets and Boots Etc. where Harlee won a free pair of boots.

Along with the local shops, many students went out of town to get the best deals. Sophomore Matti Griffeth went deal hunting at the Mall of Georgia in Atlanta, where she “…loved going shoe shopping at foot locker and going to American Eagle!” Lili Hajdu also went shopping in Atlanta and found the deals at Best Buy, where she bought a new pair of AirPods for 20% off.

Black Friday shopping remains a time-tested tradition for each generation. Finding deals immediatly after Thanksgiving proves popular for many Americans, especially for MCHS students. Happy holidays!

The Student News Site of Madison County
Black Friday