The Red and Grey

Hull Sanford

Julianna Nichols

On Tuesday, December 11, MCHS FCCLA members Julianna Nichols, Faith Lewis, Kaylie Goldman,Tree Hgay, Rianne Morrow, Re Bu, Jamie Rae,and Victoria Davis, traveled to Hull Sanford to teach afterschool students about “Whoa, Slow, and Go” foods. The FCCLA members planned three different stations for students to learn and review the material; a total of ninety kids came through in three rotations, splitting them in groups of ten for each station.

In order to teach the children the material, three members held up posters, one for each of the categories, and explained what kind of foods fit into the category. Then, the students split into the three different groups to learn a little bit more at each station.

In station one, students worked with Lewis, Morrow, and Davis to list their own examples of the “Whoa, Slow and Go” foods. Students wrote a few examples on their traffic light paper. Members then checked student  answers, and they colored the extra space around the examples.

In station two, students worked together to sort out the food cards based in which category they belonged. Students sorted the cards using the posters from the start of the lesson. Hgay, Bu, and Rae helped sort the cards and checked on the students, making sure all the cards made it to the right poster.

Station three used a slightly different version of red-light-green-light to review all the material. All of the students lined up at the edge of the carpet in a straight line, and a card held was up, by either Nichols or Goldman, showing a food. Students looked at the card, decided in which category the food fit, and they took a step based on that category. A “Go” food received a big step, a “Slow” food received a normal sized step, and a “Whoa” food received  a tiny baby step. If the students answered it wrong then they took a little step back. Whichever kids made it to Goldman and Nichols first earned the privilege of holding up the cards.

After students visited each station, they gathered back together to review and play one last game. A few of the members held up the posters from station two in different areas of the room. Goldman held up a food card, and students walked to the poster they believed the food best fit.

Each student learned something new that day about healthy eating. Students also took home a paper so they could pass that knowledge on to their family as well.

The Student News Site of Madison County
Hull Sanford