How to Manage Stress

Brenden Slaney

How to Manage Stress

By: Brenden Slaney

As  students travels through high school, or even life in general, they grow to find themselves virtually buried in a pile of work and stress. Often times, students drop-out of school because they are too stressed. Here are five tips from https://www.skillsyouneed.com/ps/stress-tips.html to help students manage/reduce their stress.

Tip number one: Avoid caffeine, alcohol, and nicotine. Caffeine and nicotine are stimulants, so rather than reducing stress, they increase the consumer’s stress level. Alcohol becomes a depressant when consumed in large quantities and a stimulant when consumed in smaller amounts; therefore, alcohol does not help at all. If a student swaps caffeinated and alcoholic beverages for water, herbal teas, or diluted natural fruit juices, then their stress becomes significantly reduced.

Tip number two: Indulge in physical activity. Stressful situations increase the level of stress hormones in a student’s body. Physical activity helps  release these hormones and restore the body to a calmer, more relaxed state. Regular physical activity also helps improve the quality of a student’s sleep.

Tip number three: Get more sleep; a lack of sleep is a significant cause of stress. Stress interrupts a human’s sleep as their thoughts keep whirling around their mind, making them unable to relax enough to fall asleep. Students need to make sure their bedroom transforms into a tranquil oasis, free from all of the reminders of the stress plaguing them. A student might also try to take a warm bath or read a calming, undemanding book a few minutes before going to sleep.

Tip number four: Talk to someone. If a student talks to someone about what causes them stress, it becomes more beneficial than detrimental. Talking either distracts the student from the stressful thoughts or helps them to release some of the built up tension. Stress clouds a person’s judgement and oftentimes prevents the person from seeing the solution to stress.

Tip number five: Keep a stress diary. Keeping a stress diary becomes an effective stress management tool as it helps the person become more aware of the situation causing them to become stressed. The diary keeper needs to note down the date, time, and place of each stressful episode. They also need to rate each stressful episode on a one through ten rating scale with one rated as the least stressful and ten rated as the most stressful.

Whethere from life or school, hopefully these tips will help alleviate stress.