The Red and Grey

Wrestling State Tournament

Back to Article
Back to Article

Wrestling State Tournament

Individuals from the Red Raider Wrestling team made history on February 16th, 2019 at the state wrestling tournament in the Macon Centerplex.

Rowan Smith, Josh Kincaid, Hamilton Cooper, and Jaxon Hoetzel all fought for a place on the podium. Smith placed sixth, Hoetzel placed fifth, Cooper placed fourth, and Kincaid placed first and became crowned state champion.

Kincaid pinned his way through his bracket up until his finals match where he won 10-3. Kincaid fell short of a championship during his freshman season, but made up for it with this win.

“Last year was unfulfilling,” says Kincaid. “This year though, I was able to come away with the win. I feel like all my sacrifices are finally paying off. I’m very thankful for God, my coaches, and my teammates who pushed me and kept me going through the highs and lows of the season.” Kincaid reigns as the fifth State Champion in Madison County history.

Smith lost his first match of the tournament, but he fought back and managed to secure a 6th place stop on the podium.

Cooper and Hoetzel also lost early on, but they made it onto the podium as well. Along with these accomplishments, these wrestlers also set a new school record of having 4 state placers. Overall, the team came in ninth place of the 4A division at the state tournament. Madison County’s wrestling program contains a bright future, and they hope to continue strong next year.

The Student News Site of Madison County
Wrestling State Tournament